the center for food education
Through the power of food, Jones Valley Teaching Farm (JVTF) creates opportunities for academic exploration, environmental stewardship, personal growth and leadership, and pathways to employment. Food is our foundation; people grow here. We operate seven vibrant student-centered Teaching Farms located on Birmingham City School campuses and in downtown Birmingham that provide environments where young people can learn, create, explore and grow a healthy future for themselves and their community. With the goal of connecting these resources with our larger community and state, we are building the Center for Food Education on our Downtown Campus. The Center will bring together students, educators, and our community to create a dynamic hub around food, education, health, and youth employment. The Center will be home to:
• Daily field trips and Good School Food instruction for students across Birmingham and Alabama
• Community gardening and culinary programming
• Increased employment and training opportunities for graduates of Birmingham City Schools
• Quality and affordable fresh produce
• Professional development and training for educators
Join us in investing in the Center for Food Education and creating a dynamic gathering and learning space that connects people through growing, cooking and sharing food as a means for academic exploration and building a healthier community for all.